Welcome to the QuestionCopyright.org chat room. We use the IRC channel #questioncopyright on irc.freenode.net. If you don't know what that means, don't worry — you don't need to know the details. Here's all you need to do to join the chat room:
- Enter a username in the "Nickname" box below. If you have a QuestionCopyright.org login name, use that.
Otherwise, make up something related to your name (for example, if you're "Jane Doe", enter "jdoe").
- Leave the "Auth to services" box unchecked, but fill in the captcha to prove you're a human.
- Hit Connect.
- Now you're in the room.
- Type qcodesk: hello in the white area at the bottom, then hit Enter to send. Wait a while to see if anyone responds. It may take a while — minutes or hours, depending on who is in the room when. Feel free to try again later if you don't get a response; it just means we're off doing something else.
Chat room tips:
- To address someone, put their nickname in front, e.g., "baslow: hey, tell me more about copyright reform".
- To see who is in the room, i.e., what nicknames, do "/userlist" (commands always begin with "/").
If you're not sure who to speak to, try the user qcodesk; if anyone from QuestionCopyright.org is in the room, they'll see that and respond. In general, be prepared to wait — the first response is rarely immediate, though once you're in a conversation responses tend to be quick.
- You can save time by typing part of a nickname and then hitting Tab to complete it. For example, "bas Tab" would complete to "baslow: "
- For help on other commands, do "/help". Feel free to ask people for help at any time, too.
- See irchelp.org for more about IRC (Internet Relay Chat).